On November 25, International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, the City Council of Moratalla from the Department of Women, convened a rally in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento.
This day is chosen by international organizations, associations and governments to gather forces, raise the voice and remind society of the seriousness of the problem of gender violence.
Although the fight against gender violence is daily, this date aims to reflect on the different ways in which this type of violence against women around the world is manifested.
Of this concentration is to emphasize two actions that give sense and force to this call.
On the one hand, the placement of "red shoes" in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento;
An action driven from Ciudad Juárez (Mexico) that extends to Spain to remind victims and seek justice through public art.
The citizenship of Moratalla has collaborated with the contribution of used footwear, which has finally been painted red by the Center of Day Stays of the town.
"Each pair symbolizes the disappearance of a woman."
On the other hand, the reading of the manifesto against the Gender Violence among the people attending the concentration.
(Extract from the manifesto)
"Violence against women is one of the most degrading violations of human rights and continues to progress in the global arena, it does not respect borders, cultures, economic levels, it is present in times of conflict and times of peace, At work and on the street.It is a manifest injustice that prevents society from advancing in the path of equality and common welfare that we all want to live together.
This manifesto makes clear our rejection of gender violence and our commitment to promote alternative models of coexistence, based on respect and equality, assuming these commitments:
- I will consider that people, men and women, are equal in rights, in decision-making capacity, in opportunities to choose.
- I will reject all actions, comments and jokes that trivialize discrimination against women and denigrate the image of women.
- I will critically analyze the sexist and / or violent speeches spread by the media.
- Promote an egalitarian education, in my closest environment, betting on toys and games that bring and enrich children and do not perpetuate the discriminatory roles for which care and passivity is assigned to women and intelligence and action To men.
- I will be free to decide my life without being a man and woman prevent me to choose what I want, promoting the elimination of female and male stereotypes.
- I will share in solidarity the domestic tasks and the care of the people themselves, thus gaining autonomy and enjoying the affection of those we want.
- I will resolve conflicts in a non-violent way.
- I will show my support and solidarity to women who are victims of gender violence
- I will participate socially to eradicate social structures and mentalities that perpetuate discrimination against women in society, actively working for equality. "
Source: Ayuntamiento de Moratalla